Voting Intentions of Wrestling Fans

I’ve no idea. Post written after a few too many of my avatar down my throat last night watching Celtic conquer Rome. Most likely anti-brexit, just not in a clear succinct way that I would have liked.

1 Like

At least you’re honest haha

I thought I would dig this thread up considering the UK Election was today. The news is reporting that exit polls show the Conservative party having a huge win and Boris Johnson will be the Prime Minister with a majority government. Basically guaranteeing that Brexit will finally happen.

As an observer from the US i’m pretty surprised. Not necessarily that the Tory’s won but that it seems like it seems like a decisive victory. From what I had read prior the predictions were that the results would be much closer.

If this exit poll is correct - this is a massive shock. Nothing predicted this would be the case.

I’m in Wales and Welsh legend Howard Mark’s once wrote: “if the vote was a Tory or a pig on acid - in Wales the pig on acid would get the vote”.
It seems like most of the country would rather a pig on acid than Jeremy Corbyn

1 Like

Anyone not named Trump

1 Like

Party politics aside, I can’t believe how many buffoons we have as leaders now a days.

1 Like

I’ve found some of the younger fans to be a bit more progressive especially here in Chicago with the rise of AEW/The Elite/indies in general.

That being said, any time I go to a wrestling show I often find I am often greeted by opposing politics from the wrestlers and many older generation fans.

This year Starrcast was a nice change of pace because despite the fact I happened to get stuck behind a MAGA hat wearer most of events - there were actually many panels covering representation for LGBTQ, races/cultures etc. which were very eye opening and exciting to see the younger wave take the reins of this very dated industry.

1 Like

I think many people were surprised initially but then if you dig under the surface its not surprising at all.

Tell me about it.

That’s the saddest thing for me. I think you need to be a certain kind of person though to be in politics.

My friend was quite prominent and was severely bullied. They left, as most people would. But they’re one of the good young, clever people we need. British politics is in a state but I don’t see it changing much in my lifetime.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, the typical politician can usually be a scrumbag, but they know how to act dignified in front of a camera.

It’s much, much easier to be a right wing party. Just validate people’s ignorance and insecurities, do a lot of “our flag” stuff and it’s a wrap. People get to feel superior and basically don’t see why they need to think beyond that feeling.

Take a random used car salesman and put them up against a random doctor and more often than not the used car salesman would win the election.

The world is a right wing world

Brexit is happening

Trump won and will win again

The world belongs to those who have money. They don’t want to share or help the poor or pay taxes.

So take all the liberal left wingers you know that eat avocado toast and love AOC making 20k a year and can’t bother to vote and belive Kris Strandler is actually an Alien and stick it.

The majority has spoken. And it’s not you

1 Like

You do realize that the right wing dominance in America at least doesn’t in any way represent the majority, it represents how the system is set up. Trump lost the popular vote, Democrats control the house where population matters, republicans control the senate where population is irrelevant.

While I think the left takes it too far at times, the right is in the minority’s in America they just play the system better.

2 Likes

I don’t vote based on emotion, I vote based on results. Since Nov 8th, 2016, my paycheck is up $120 a week, the “slow” period in my industry hasn’t happened in 3 years, my 401k is on a steady climb and my house value is up over $50,000 more than I paid for it. I’m not about to vote for a liberal democrat that wants to mess any of this up for me. I’ll be voting for Donald Trump again.

1 Like

Not worth it to argue

2 Likes

I fully agree. Arguing with facts is pointless.

1 Like

I agree. There is no point in arguing.
We’re never going to all agree but it would be nice to have a discussion and a debate about progress instead of continually swapping from Right wing to left wing ideas.

I think we can live in a capatalist world where people make millions but, maybe you can’t make Billions! Maybe once you have more then enough you start to part an awful lot to look after the people who can’t provide for themselves.

There will always be some people who can’t look after themselves and do we leave them to die or do we support them. I think we support them and we encourage them to do things in the arts, and try and find some skills or just have fun…they may eventually be able to look after themselves.

We don’t need to demonise the rich, but even most of ‘The Rich’ don’t agree that others have billions and billions in of shore accounts not paying any taxes and screwing the rest of us over.

Let’s just sort these things out…but maybe I’m clueless and this is all just wishful thinking.

Not a Trump guy, but here I go anyway…

Popular vote is a largely erroneous argument. How many people don’t vote because they already know which way their state is going to go? How many people on the west coast don’t vote because the election seems decided before they make it to the polls? How many people don’t bother with absentee ballots because they don’t feel like they’ll be counted in time anyway? Not to mention that 100% of national campaigns are designed around winning the electoral college, not the popular vote.

Popular vote will matter when popular vote is how elections are decided. You can’t look at a basketball game after it’s been played and say “we would’ve won if two-pointers were worth four”.

Even if he lost the popular vote he wasn’t that far off. He has a lot of support in the US. Borris just killed it in the UK. The right isn’t some fringe movement - it’s real and it’s here.

Ignoring it and pretending people love the AOC way of life is ignorant to the world around you. Lots of people believe in conservatism and going right wing. Less about social causes and more about paying less taxes. Closing boarders. Supporting troops. 2nd amendment rights. Supporting the police.

Whether you agree or not with this it’s everywhere.

Even in Canada people supported Don Cherry when he was fired.

There is a divide and the right wing isn’t some small fringe group anymore

Ok. Just a few things. Let’s all argue in good faith and agree on a few things. We can have policy disagreements, but the science is settled on some issues.

The whole taxes things. Right wing govts are giving millionaires and billionaires the vast majority of the tax money. And the rest of us get scraps. Then guess what, you pay tons more in the lost services. The rich don’t care about these services, its the majority of the population that stuffers from tax cuts to the rich. Having to start a go fund me, in the US, for medical bills is a travesty, for the “richest/most powerful country in the world.”

If we tax the rich, then most of society benefits. The real culprit as I see it is the capitalist system. Yes, yes we all live in this and I don’t know if I would want it another way. But totally deregulated, no rules capitalism is why we are in a climate crisis. Their quarterly earnings don’t care about mass environmental devestation, dirty water, or dirty air.